Chioma’s Fitness Notes – Your Body After Your Baby
For most women one of the most difficult aspects of having a baby is not being able to get back in shape and for others it’s as easy as a piece of cake. Normally the number of kilos you gain during pregnancy is determined by your body mass index. This simply means that it’s unavoidable and normal to add a few kilos while pregnant but how do you get back to your previous body shape or even be better than you were before you were pregnant.
Firstly, after a woman has given birth to her baby she sheds at least 10 pounds. Most women experience an increased loss of weight after giving birth while others don’t.
Here are a few tips on how to lose weight after having your baby:
- Breastfeeding: Most women avoid breastfeeding for some reasons but breastfeeding actually helps you lose weight. A baby being breastfed needs at least 600-800 calories a day for healthy growth and if your breast milk provides these calories, you are indirectly shedding fat.
- Exercise: The only reason a woman who just had a baby should delay exercising after having her baby is if she had a caesarean section or if her doctor says so. I’m sure the only question on your mind is “where is the time?”
There are a lot of exercises you could do while taking care of your baby.
- Sit ups with your baby
- Healthy eating: Eating healthy can help you while trying to lose body fat. Take a lot of vitamins, protein and iron and take little or no unhealthy foods. This might be difficult but try your very best to always have healthy food around you so that you won’t be tempted to eat anything unhealthy. Make sure to eat a complete diet too.
- Take your time: My dear woman, it took you nine months to gain all that weight. Give yourself time to lose it. Do not be in a rush to lose it. A lot happened with your body. A lot of changes happened and your body will need time to get back to its normal form.
- Set a reasonable goal: Set a goal for yourself and work towards it. This goal has to be reasonable because you can’t go on a 7-day challenge to lose your body fat. Set a long-term goal.
- All women are not the same: Your body is different from the next woman. Quit comparing yourself to the next woman and focus on yourself. The Instagram and magazine women will make you think losing your post-partum baby fat is easy or make you worried about your body. Honestly, most of these women either go through surgery or other extreme means. Understand your body and focus on working on yourself.
- Embrace yourself: It is said that woman suffer depression after having a baby and being worried about your body weight might further drive you into depression. Embrace the change.